Things have started happening very fast. One moment I was still happily swimming in the river of denial, the next I was thrown into the vast barrenness that is reality.
But let me back up a little….
You’ll remember I mentioned briefly that things were a bit iffy with our company. I never went into details, but the gist of it is that our local office is too small to be cost effective so they would be closing down our branch. There was a light at the end of the tunnel though, with the possibility of a local investor taking over the responsibilities of our office locally. He promised to take over everything, including all staff (pregnant staff as well), in return for getting agency rights and setting up a better business model than the one we run currently.
All of this was discussed and decided in the middle of January. We would’ve moved over onto our new boss’ payroll by end January…then we would’ve moved over by end April. Now we’ve been told that we’re moving over at the end of June. You see a trend here?
In the past week, since head office said that we’re finally doing the shift at the end of the month, things have started changing rapidly. It seems that we’ll actually be following through with the plans to move over to the other company as we’ve already made arrangements regarding our office space. This would’ve been fabulous, if it happened 3 months ago…..before I needed to start planning for my maternity leave.
Yesterday, another problem made its appearance. I’d planned to put off talking to my company about my maternity leave until the end of June, thinking that I’ll work until middle July. That was before I found out that I may not have the option to give birth naturally anymore. My blood pressure and a few other things are worrying my doctor and she’s making me monitor a few things very closely as well as take even more pills than I’m already taking. I have to report back in two weeks time, and again two weeks after that. If I don’t show the type of progress she’s looking for, I’ll have no choice but to go for a Caesarean (a fact that I’m not to stressed about, strangely). I’ve also been told that I have to stop working at the end of June.
The same time that I technically start at a new company…..
So basically, I’m going on maternity leave without an idea as to whether I really do still have a job or not. Lack of job means lack of salary. (Not that getting a salary from your employer is compulsory per SA law) The best case scenario is that I get to claim from UIF, but you can only claim for a third of your full monthly salary. I have bills to pay and I’m scared….more than I could ever had imagined.
I don’t know what to do.